Beneath the Uniform: The Sacred Art of Unmasking in the Fleet
Chaplain's Personal Log 71726
Stardate: 80542.5
Location: USS Tanasi, Region 1
Author: Rev. Joseph Villalobos, ENS
Interfaith Chaplain - Astromycologist.
To step aboard a starship is to step into a promise.
For decades, the United Federation of Planets has shone as a beacon of hope, a future where humanity has finally outgrown its childhood terrors of scarcity, tribalism, and prejudice. But for a vast number of us within Starfleet International (SFI), the draw to this universe is much deeper than a love of sleek starships or warp-drive physics.
We are drawn to Starfleet because we are looking for a sanctuary.
As an Interfaith Chaplain, a practicing Hedge Druid of more than forty years, and an AuDHD individual myself, I walk the boundary lines of our community. I look out at our crew, and I see a beautifully complex, thriving, and deeply neurodivergent ecosystem. But I also see the invisible bruises. I see the heavy, dented armor of survival.
Many who arrive on our virtual decks carry deep-seated trauma from a neurotypical society that was never built for them. They have been told they are "too intense," "too quiet," "too obsessive," or "too sensitive." To survive, they learned to mask, to construct a rigid, exhausting shield of hyper-vigilance, hiding their true processing systems just to avoid being cast out of the airlock.
If we are to be a true fleet, our primary mission must be to construct a space so safe that those shields can finally be laid down.
The Philosophy of the Sovereign Mind: Why Trek Attracts Us
Gene Roddenberry built a universe that accidentally became the ultimate safe harbor for minds that run on a different frequency. The pillars of Starfleet are, at their core, the pillars of neurodivergent comfort.
1. The Sanctuary of IDIC
To the neurotypical world, Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations is a lovely philosophical slogan. To a neurodivergent person who has spent a lifetime trying to fit into a round hole, it is a profound, life-saving sigh of relief. It is the explicit promise of a universe where difference is not a defect to be tolerated, but a fundamental strength necessary to complete the crew.
2. Spock, Data, and Seven: The Dignity of the Outsider
Many of us have spent our lives trying to manually decode human social behavior, feeling like alien observers on an unfamiliar planet. In Spock, we saw the dignity of a mind ruled by deep logic navigating an emotional storm. In Data, we saw the struggle to analyze human nuance, proving that a literal, structured mind is capable of profound love and heroism. In Seven of Nine, we saw the journey of reclaiming individuality after a life of forced conformity. These characters didn't just entertain us, they validated our exact daily experience.
3. Special Interests as the Prime Engine
In a society that pathologizes intense focus, Starfleet does something radical: it calls your hyper-fixation a career. When you are deeply, passionately obsessed with a highly specific field, whether it is stellar cartography, Klingon linguistics, or astromycology, you aren't labeled "quirky." You are made Chief Science Officer. SFI is a place where your deep dives are recognized as your greatest gift to the collective.
The Role of the Chaplain: Moving Beyond "Disingenuous Listening"
When we gather a crew where the baseline is neurodivergent, the traditional rules of pastoral care must evolve.
As a Chaplain, I do not stop being a Chaplain when I step off the ship. My collar, my communicator, and my Druidic staff are all part of the same calling: to stand at the boundary lines, the "hedges" of our community, and hold open a door to safety.
But true chaplaincy is much more than simply being a passive listener.
We have all experienced the sting of "polite, disingenuous listening." For those of us with AuDHD, our empathy is often dialed up to a microscopic degree. We don't just see social signals; we analyze them in high-definition. We can spot the polite, glazed-over mask of someone "tolerating" our passion from a light-year away. It feels like a subtle, quiet rejection.
To combat this, a Chaplain must actively engage in learned listening.
I do not sit in my office waiting for people to come to me, nor do I offer hollow nods when they share their worlds. I actively take courses at Starfleet Academy (SFA). I work through each Bridge Officer Certification Program (BOCPs). Why? Because when a crew member comes to me burning with passion for a niche area of lore or science, I want to meet them in their world. I want to have studied the map of their mind so I do not get lost when they invite me in.
True pastoral care is not tolerating someone's intensity; it is honoring their joy by taking the time to understand it.
Guinan in a Uniform: The Active, Projective Sanctuary
In the lore of the Enterprise-D, Counselor Troi is the clinician on the bridge. She diagnoses, advises, and operates within the structured medical framework of Starfleet.
But Guinan, the ancient, timeless Listener of Ten Forward, held the true spirit of the Chaplain.
Guinan stood outside the chain of command. She offered a liminal sanctuary where the uniform didn't matter. She poured the drink, wiped the counter, and held an immovable, grounded presence that could quiet the chaotic storm of any officer, from a junior crewman to Captain Picard himself.
I like to think of my role as Guinan in a uniform.
By wearing the uniform and earning the SFA credentials, I speak the structural language of the system. I have the organizational tools to protect and advocate for my crew. But the moment you sit down with me, that rigid protocol dissolves into the ancient, rooted spirit of the Hedge Druid.
As a trained empath, I know that empathy is not just passive reception. A trained empath can project as well as receive. When a crew member is drowning in sensory overload, trauma, or the anxiety of trying to perform, I do not absorb their chaos. Instead, I project a localized gravity well of absolute calm, safety, and ancient boundaries. Like the deep roots of an oak tree, I ground the static electricity of their fear into the earth, letting them breathe.
And when toxic or predatory elements attempt to breach our decks to exploit the vulnerability of our unmasked crew? They run headfirst into an impenetrable wall of projective, defensive boundaries.
The 2,500-Year Perspective
In my own roleplay within SFI, I step into the boots of a 2,500-year-old half-Human, half-Lanthanite. It is a playful nod to our beloved, filter-free Chief Engineer Pelia of SNW, but it carries a profound therapeutic truth.
To carry the perspective of two and a half millennia is to realize that we are part of a long, unbroken lineage of survivors. A Lanthanite spent centuries masking among a volatile, changing human civilization just to survive. We know the cost of the mask. We also know that humanity has walked through incredibly dark forests, yet we always continue to seek the light of the stars.
To my fellow SFI members, to the seekers at the edge of the woods, and to the weary officers looking for a port in the storm:
Our Starfleet is not a place where you must pretend to be a "standard" human to be valued. Your intensity is your strength. Your sensitivity is your superpower. Your specialized knowledge is our fuel.
Step onto the deck. Come sit at my bar in my hologram lounge and let me pour you a drink.
The safety protocols are fully operational, the sensors are clear, and we are ready to listen, genuinely listen, to who you truly are.
May you be blessed with a good fire.
Comments
Post a Comment